1. Please check your child's grades weekly on ParentVue.
2. Students should be reading each night for at least 20 minutes as well as practicing their multiplication facts.
Math - We are still plugging away at division, and I think we've got it! Thank you for all of your help at home :) We will continue to work on division, specifically with a focus on word problems that involve remainders. Students will need to learn to interpret a remainder and figure out what to do it in terms of the word problem. We are also exploring how to find factors of a given number and determining if the number is prime or composite.
Reading - We are still working on identifying how a nonfiction text is organized, and we will be wrapping that up this week. We will begin identifying which point of view (first or third) that a story is told in.
Grammar - We will be working again on commonly confused homophones such as their/they're/there, too/two/to, you're/your, it's/its, etc. We will also be having a spelling test next Friday - 12/13.
Social Studies - We are continuing learning about Bill of Rights and our federal government and how it's set up.
Writing - Students have begun a short informational piece about a historical figure.
12/5 - PJ Day for Caring Coins
12/6 - Hot Chocolate for Caring Coins
12/9 - Hat Day for Caring Coins
12/11 - Crazy Hair Day for Caring Coins
12/12 - Hot chocolate for Caring Coins
- Students should be reading every night for at least 20 minutes as well as practicing their multiplication facts.
- Please be sure you are checking your child's grades weekly on ParentVue. The 4 1/2 week mark is coming up on Friday!
- Please be sure you are looking through your child's weekly graded papers to see what they need to be working on.
- We have started our second round of book clubs. Book clubs meet every Thursday. Your child is responsible for reading the assigned chapters and completing sticky notes to show their thinking and help their comprehension. Some students are having trouble keeping up with their reading, so please check in with your child to make sure they are pacing themselves so they will be able to finish their assignment.
Math - We have finished up multiplying 2-digit by 2-digit numbers using an area model. We will be moving into division using explicit trade next week. Students should be able to divide up to a 4-digit dividend by a 1-digit divisor. Division Using Explicit Trade Video
Social Studies - We have started our unit on the New Nation. We will start by learning the strengths and weaknesses of our first system of government, the Articles of Confederation. We will learn about Shay's Rebellion and the need for a stronger central government.
Writing - We are working on finishing up our fictional narratives, and then we will be moving onto informational writing.
Grammar - We have begun learning about prepositional phrases. Students should be able to identify them in a sentence as well as form and use them in their writing.
11/21 - Twin Day for Caring Coins
11/25-11/29 - Thanksgiving Break
12/3 - Kemp Art Show
12/5 - PJ Day for Caring Coins
12/6 - Hot Chocolate for Caring Coins
12/9 - Hat Day for Caring Coins
12/12 - Hot Chocolate for Caring Coins
- Thanksgiving Lunch for 4th grade is on Friday, Nov. 8 from 11:10 – 11:45 if you would like to attend. We will be at tables 13, 15, 1.
- Students will be having a graded multiplication fact test on Friday, November 15th.
- Homophone re-test is this Friday for those that scored below an 80% last week.
- Veteran's Day ceremony is on Monday, November 11th @ 9:00 in the CAFETERIA (it was moved inside!)
- Lastly, I know I say this every week, but the BEST and most HELPFUL thing you can do for your child is to have them practice their multiplication facts each night and read for 20 minutes each night!!!! Some students are beginning to struggle with multi-digit multiplication because they do not know their facts fluently, and we want them to feel and be successful! The rigor of our reading standards also requires students to be strong readers, so reading every night really does help them be successful in that department as well!
Math - We have been working on multiplying multi-digit numbers by one-digit numbers. We will be moving on to learning how to multiply two-digit by two-digit numbers, and then we will be jumping into DIVISION!
Reading - We have been working on identifying the theme of a story, as well as identifying details in the story that the author uses to help develop that theme. We will use the evidence to learn how to write a constructed response paragraph describing the theme of a story.
Writing - We are continuing to work on drafting our fictional narratives. Most students are well into the editing and revising stage. We will be typing our final copies within the next week :)
Grammar - We are reviewing commonly confused homophones (there/their/they're, too/two/to, your/you're, except/accept, etc.). We will be working on forming and using prepositional phrases in our writing.
Social Studies - We have transitioned back to social studies after finishing up our solar system unit. We will start our unit on the New Nation. We will start by learning the strengths and weaknesses of our first system of government, the Articles of Confederation. We will learn about Shay's Rebellion and the need for a stronger central government.
11/1 - 11/8 - Book Fair!
11/7 - STEM night
11/8 - 4th Grade Thanksgiving Lunch
11/11 - 4th grade face painting for Caring Coins
We thoroughly enjoyed getting to sit down and meet with everyone during conference week! We are super proud of all that our students have accomplished in the 1st quarter :)
- This week is Red Ribbon Week.
- Monday 10/21 - "Team Up for a Healthy Life" - Wear your favorite team shirt!
- Tuesday 10/22 - "Emojion" a Healthy Life! Rock out your emoji attire or yellow!
- Wednesday 10/23 - We are "RED-Y" to be healthy! Wear RED!
- Thursday 10/24 - Don't be silly when making healthy choices! Wear your silly socks!
- Friday 10/25 - We are "Kemply" the Best when we are Healthy! Wear your Kemp spirit wear!
2. Field trip permission slips will be coming home on Monday for our visit to the Fire Safety Village in November. Please be sure to fill out BOTH sides of the permission slip. There will also be an order form for anyone that would like to purchase a Chick-fil-A delivered lunch on that day.
3. We are jumping right into multi-digit multiplication! Please, please, please be sure that students are studying their multiplication facts every day!
4. Please be sure students are also reading for at least 20 minutes every day!
5. Don't forget to be working on science fair projects if you are interested! Deadline is November 1st.
6. Veteran's Day performance on November 11 @ 9:00 am on back field.
7. This week is Bus Driver Appreciation Week - be sure to thank your bus driver and show them some love!
Math - We will be exploring factors and multiples this week as well as beginning multiplying multi-digit numbers using the area model. (see below)
Reading - We will be learning to identify the theme of a story by analyzing character actions.
Writing - We have started our fictional narratives and will continue working on developing the problem and solution of our stories.
Grammar - We will be finishing up progressive verbs - was walking, is walking, will be walking
Science - We will be learning about the planets in our solar system. Students will be creating a poster of the inner/outer planets at the end of the week as an assessment.
11/1 - Last day to submit science fair projects
11/4 - Kroger Math Night
11/5 - No School - staff only
11/11 - Veteran's Day performance 9:00 am on back field
I hope everyone enjoyed their fall break! We are jumping right back into the swing of things here :)
- Please make sure you have signed up for a conference time (see conference e-mail for sign-up link) for the week of October 14-18th.
- Please make sure you are checking your child's grades on ParentVue weekly.
- Students should be reading every night for at least 20 minutes as well as practicing their multiplication facts. We will be diving into multiplication NEXT WEEK!!!
Math - We will be continuing to work on perimeter this week and will be taking a quiz on Friday. Next week we will be jumping into multiplication :)
Reading - We are continuing to work on identifying the main idea and supporting details of a text as well as writing a summary of a text. We have all of our book clubs up and running. Book clubs will meet every Thursday.
Science - We have been learning about why we have day/night and seasons. We will also be exploring the moon and its different phases. Students have received a moon observation calendar and would love for them to record their observations each day.
Writing - We are currently finishing publishing and typing our personal narratives. Next week we will begin fictional narratives.
Grammar - There is no spelling this week, however, we will begin spelling again next week. We will continue exploring synonyms/antonyms as well as introduce progressive verb forms.
10/10 - Early Release
10/11 - Movie Night
10/14 - 10/18 - Conference Week - Early Release
Happy Friday! We successfully completed another week of working hard and learning lots :)
1. Please consider donating to our Kemp PTA Fundraiser that is going on now through September 20th! These donations greatly benefit our school and help make it the awesome place that it is!
2. Our field trip to the Youth Museum is next Wednesday. We will be eating lunch at school before we leave. We will be leaving the school around 11:15.
3. Please be sure to check your child's grades weekly on ParentVue as well as their graded papers that come home on Wednesdays.
4. Students should be reading each night for at least 20 minutes as well as practicing multiplication facts.
Math - This week we finished up adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers and have moved on to solving multi-step equations involving addition and subtracting.
Reading - We worked on identifying the main idea of a nonfiction text as well as identifying supporting details. Next week we will continue identifying main idea/supporting details to help us write a summary of a text.
Writing - We are almost finished with our personal narratives! We are working on editing and revising and will work on publishing these next week!
Grammar - We began identifying complete sentences, fragments and run-ons. Students should be able to form complete sentences, eliminating fragments and run-ons. We will continue working on this next week as well.
Spelling - Students received a spelling list this week working on suffixes -ible and -able. They will have a spelling test next Friday, September 20th.
Social Studies - We finished up our Revolutionary War unit this week and took our test yesterday (Thursday). Students will be choosing one of the key individuals in the Revolutionary War and making a t-shirt blueprint to represent this person.
Science - We will begin our space unit next week! We will be learning how the sun, moon and Earth interact, what causes day/night and what causes our seasons.
9/18 - Youth Museum field trip
9/23 - 9/27 - Fall Break